I was recently thinking about some of the soft skills that can help us when managing our projects. It is important to know the technical details of your projects and its end goals. However, you will also need a set of soft skills that will help your take your project to the finish line. The following is a list of soft skills that I believe can help you.
- Energy - Project Management is a job that requires a lot of energy and you can quickly get tired. It is important to know how to maintain your energy level in order to be in an optimal productive state. Make sure you get adequate rest and refuel with healthy food choices.
- Passion - You need to be passionate about your project and your role in leading the project to completion. You won't be able to do your best work if you don't feel passionate about what your project will accomplish for others.
- Excellent Communication - Communicate the best you can when writing and speaking. Do not waste anyone's time and only communicate what is needed to help others, ask questions, or provide a status update.
- Self-Motivation - You need to be able to motivate yourself to perform the actions necessary to make progress in your project plan. Ignite the self-starter in you and get the job done.
- Motivating Your Team - If you work with a team, you also need to be able to construct an environment where they can feel motivated to do their best work. Help make it a positive and collaborative environment.
- Enthusiasm - You need to be enthusiastic about your work and the project. Your enthusiasm will help make it a more positive environment for everyone involved with the project.
- Honesty - Whenever you provide a status on the project, you simply need to be honest. Building an honest relationship from the start will make it easier for you to deal with issues down the road.
- Approachable - You need to make it easy for anyone to approach you especially with any negative news. Be receptive to ideas and listening to complaints. You want to set the expectation that others can contact you without hesitation.
- Good Negotiation - Your job is to complete a project and there will be times where you will have to seek out a compromise in order to produce a win-win solution for everyone. The show must go on and figure out what needs to happen in order to not hit any road blocks.
- Interpersonal Communication - You need to know when to talk and when to listen.
- Humor - You need to have a sense of humor for when times become stressful. It will help you stay focused on the goals of the project. Nothing is perfect.
- Commitment to Excellence - Your project is a representation of your work. Take pride in your work and set a standard of excellence for your project.
- Focus on Success - You need to be focused on successfully delivering your project.
Your projects can quickly become chaotic, but with the proper soft skills you can manage it in a productive fashion.